I watched Battlestar Galactica: Razor the other day. Admiral Cain scares me. Despite this, I am madly in love with her. Probably because Michelle Forbes is so awesome. I think there needs to be more M.Forbes on shows I watch.
Since it's tangentially relevant, I am going to list my top ten fictional television/movie girlcrushes:
1. Kira Nerys of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
2. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace of Battlestar Galactica*
3. Princess Leia Organa of Star Wars
4. Veronica Mars of Veronica Mars
5. Winifred Burkle of Angel
6. Mulan of Mulan
7. Sydney Bristow of Alias
8. Lucille Bluth and Lindsay Funke of Arrested Development (I'm cheating here. Oh well.)
9. Laura Roslin of Battlestar Galactica
10. Vala Maldoran of Stargate: SG-1
Hmm. I'm finding it strange that there are only two movies listed in there, but I have noted before that I find it easier to find tv shows with female leads I admire more than movies. There are plenty of likeable female leads in movies, but few that make me leap out of my chair and cheer. Also, I suppose that you could substitute the word "girlcrush" with "role model," but I'm not sure what it says about me that heavy in the ranks are violent, vengeful, drunk, unstable narcissists. Oh well. I suppose most of them save the world on at least a semi-frequent basis, so they've got that going for them.
*Is it a coincidence that Ron Moore, who created new!BSG, also worked on DS9? I THINK NOT. Kara is CLEARLY a Kira knockoff. (The funny thing is that I have a whole theory about how BSG = DS9, and Kara isn't even Kira in it.)